Download Introduction to Lathe Machine PPT. You can download best ppt for Introduction to Lathe Machine here. So it will be useful for guys from mechanical engineering and production engineering as seminar and presntation topic. Lathe is one of the most versatile and widely used machine tools all over the world. It is commonly known as the mother of all other machine tool. The main function of a lathe is to remove metal from a job to give it the required shape and size. The job is securely and rigidly held in the chuck or in between centers on the lathe machine and then turn it against a single point cutting tool which will remove metal from the job in the form of chips.
The lathe device is very much used in the metal functional industry and it is the ancient and most vital device tools. In the year of 1956, the wood lathes were in avail in France and during the industrial revolution in England the lathe device was adapted for metal cutting and it is also known as “engine lathe” because the foremost type of lathe was driven by a steam engine.
Download Lathe machine Introduction PPT 2 (All Content)
Lathe is a machine, which removes the metal from a piece of work to the required shape and size. Lathe is one of the most important machine tools in the metal working industry. A lathe operates on the principle of a rotating workpiece and a fixed cutting tool. The cutting tool is feed into the workpiece, which rotates about its own axis, causing the workpiece to be formed to the desired shape. Lathe machine is also known as “the mother/father of the entire tool family”
Operations of Lathe Machine:
- Facing: the facing operation is necessary for all the works and with the aid of a cross side the facing instrument is fed from the center of the workpiece towards the outer surface or else from the outer surface towards the center.
- Plane turning: The plane turning is an operation that removes the extra the extra amount of material from the surface of a cylindrical workpiece. In this type of operation, we do the work either in the chuck or between the centers, the longitudinal feed is furnished to the tool by hand or by the power.
- Step turning: the step turning is an operation which is similar to the operation of plain turning and it is an operation of generating different steps of various diameters in the workpiece.
- Drilling: The drilling is an operation of creating a hole in the workpiece with the aid of a drill. In the drilling operation, the drill machine is normally fed into the workpiece which rotates by rotating the hand wheel of the tail stock.
- Reaming: The reaming operation in which the finishing is done to the drilled holes. In this work of reaming, the reamer is held in the tailstock and it is fed into the holes just like the way we did in the drilling.
some others Lathe Operations are Straight turning, Shoulder turning, Taper turning, Chamfering, Eccentric turning, Thread cutting, Facing, Forming, Filing Polishing, Grooving, Knurling, Spinning, Spring winding
so download Lathe Operation PPT from below in which all the lathe operations are covered with some examples
Lathe Machine Parts
Bed: It is the part where different operational parts of the lathe machine is mounted. Generally it is single piece cast product made of hardened steel. If the lathe machine is large in size then the bed can consist of more than a single piece. Beds are heavy in construction that’s the reason it can damp all the vibrations that occur while machining. The guides or slide ways are present on the bed for guiding the other parts like tail stock etc. The bed supports all other major components.
Carriage: It contains cross-slide, apron and cross slide, compound rest , saddle etc. It supports the tool and guides it along the desired direction for perfect feed.
Headstock – It works as a housing for the driving pulleys and gears. It is located at the left side of the lathe machine. It provides various drive speeds. Headstock holds the jaws and supplies power .
Tailstock – Tailstock is used for supporting the workpiece from the other side. Tailstocks can slide along the bed. It is an important lathe machine component.
Feed Rod and Lead Screw-Feed – Feed rod and lead screw almost serve the same purpose. Feed rod is used for basic turning. But lead screw is used for threading.
Lathe Machine components design and Terminology and functions
Lets discuss the assemblies of the most important lathe parts.
Bed – Beds are made of grey cast iron and used for vibration damping.
Headstock assembly – It consists of spindle, transmission and drive motor.
Tailstock assembly – The assembly of tailstock involves longitudinal way clamp, transverse way clamp and quill for cutting tools, live centers or dead centers.
It includes cross slide, helps to hold the tool post at different orientations . It can provide longitudinal as well as transverse movement.
It provides power to the carriage assembly. It works along with the lead screw.
Guides the carriage and tailstock to perfect direction.